Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Audacity of Hope

The ultrasound wand and I had our first (of this cycle) "moment" together yesterday. Nothing to report except I'm all clear to start this cycle. My RE is starting us with 4 vials (300 IU) of Repronex daily beginning tonight all the way through until next Tuesday night. I'll go in for bloodwork and u/s next Wednesday. I know that seems like a long span but if we know anything for sure about me it's that I'm quite slow to start. Doctor doesn't think I'll be 'ready' next Wednesday but we, of course, need to check. She (dr) said Wednesday, "So. . . just one more?"
"Yeah," I said, "but then--no offense--but you're never going to see me again."
Then she said, "You know you're going to end up with twins or more. . . you just make so damn many eggs."

I just smiled. What else could I say?

Part of me wishes I could get as excited and hopeful as I used to at the start of a cycle. The other part of me is perfectly fine with the self-preserving NON-excitement that I feel. Don't get me wrong. . . I want to think that this will be the cycle for us. . . that it sticks. . . that I never have to go crazy during another 2ww. . . that I never have to spend another DAMN DOLLAR on fertility medication. . . that I end up with a SWEET, chubby faced, kissable baby out of the deal. I'm not NOT hopeful. I guess I've been down this road one too many times to get too wrapped up in it all.

But I will pray. For a good cycle, for a positive test, for a long, healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. And I might hope--just a little.

No comments: